Sunday, May 29, 2011

2011 San Francisco Carnaval Parade

The 2011 San Francisco Carnaval Parade is now a bitter-sweet memory.

Let me begin with the bitter:
It began at 7 :30 am when my very pregnant best-friend announced she would not be parading today. After parading together for 14 year, she would not...be...present. The news instantly broke my spirit and brought tears to my eyes, but I tried to overcome it and move on. However, later we were faced with technical difficulties involving the band and sound system. Those on the float and beyond could not hear the band that marched 20 feet ahead. Now tell me, how can any dance group perform when they can't hear the music? Lastly and the straw that broke the camel's back, metaphorically speaking, was the conduct of a fellow dancer. Her bad mood and unkind behavior left me disappointed and despondent. Carnaval, after all, is a joyous occasion in which participants show off their talent, bring pleasure and entertainment to the crowd, and simply have a great time--fun time. Bad moods and unkind behavior is not allowed. In fact, if you look closely at the San Francisco Carnaval Parade rule book, it clearly states that unpleasant and disagreeable behaviors are not allowed within 20' of the parade--really! But enough about the bitter.

Let me end with the sweet:
I looked fabulous! Of course, it was with the help of friends. For one, Dominique lent me a fabulous hot pink bikini and gloves to match my head and shoulder piece. She was also my chauffeur; I love when I don't have to drive. During the parade, Akiva consoled me (remember that my best-friend and partner in crime was not parading). Her kind words and carrying gestures brought my spirits up, allowing me to dance my ass off. At the end of the parade, I was pleasantly surprised to see that my feet did not hurt--always, always a plus--and in the afternoon, I had a great cup of coffee and closed the parade day with a great stage performance; I know it was great because other dancers (audience members) were clapping and smiling. In many ways, the parade was a great success.

Here are the pictures!
Maria Souza, director and founder of Aquarela
Me and my family
The amazing band
Silvana Sousa, choreographer of Aquarela




No comments:

Post a Comment