Friday, July 19, 2013

Costume Makeover: Black Top

Costume Makeover: Black Bra Top
Like a woman with blue eye shadow, teased bangs, and a perm, my costumes were outdated and lacking the oomph much needed in the samba business. They desperately needed a makeover.

For months, I've been planning the makeover of my black bikini but did not have time to put my ideas into fruition (This parenting thing is taking up all my time).This week, however, I finally got around to working on my costume.

Now, my black costume bikini top looks amazing. The new embellishments really pop, and best of all, it makes my small boobs look huge :)
Steps 1: To completely remake the top, I stripped the wire-bra frame of all beads and embellishments. I then covered the wire with black ribbon and felt. This process took longer than actually decorating the costume.




Step 2: After breastfeeding, my boobs have gotten much smaller (Damn this parenting thing!). However, the triangle shape top is still too small for my small boobs (dam it, again!). With a piece of cardboard, I cut out a circular shape, covered it with felt, and attached it to the triangle bra cup. 




Step 3: At Joanne Fabric Store, I found a beautiful rhinestone-pearl pendant to serve as the focal point of the bra and glued it on the circular cardboard shape. To finish the look, I glued pre-strung sequence and individual rhinestones around the pendant and finished off the front of the bra by outlining it with pre-strung rhinestones. Bedazzling the bra was the best part.


Completed top
Step 4: Years ago, a neighbor gave me a bag full of mismatched or broken jewelry--Yes, I'm becoming a hoarder and will soon live in a house full of ostrich feathers, old carnaval magazines, damaged costumes, and broken samba shoes. To finish off the top, I added an old rhinestone earring given to me by my neighbor to the center of the bra and used ribbons as bra straps.





The makeover took a total of 4 hours. In the past, I sewed most, if not all, of the embellishments to my costumes. This time, I decided to use a combination of hot glue and fabric glue; let me tell you, it saved me loads of time.





I look forward to wearing my new costume at Ivete Sangalo's U.S. Bay Area show.

Beijos and enjoy your week!

If you like my post, please leave a comment below or click on Follow. I love to hear what you think and appreciate your support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment