Thursday, July 21, 2011

Foster Children and School Supplies

"Education is all a matter of building bridges. " Ralph Ellison, the guy who wrote Invisible Man.


Yes, I'm the first to admit that I have been on hiatus. It began with the overwhelming demands of work and college. Prepping for the end of the school year took more time than expected. But later the demands subsided and an overwhelming sense of laziness took over me. Yes, I'm proud to say that I am lazy and loving my boredom (Lea would be proud). I am more than happy to sit on my extremely comfortable couch, watching Oprah, and enjoying a nice, tall glass of room temperature water (I am lazy, not crazy. I still have to watch my calories!).

Though the laziness persists, I am now motivated to do a little more than just watch Oprah. Inspired by Oprah's generosity and a desire to do something that goes beyond me, I am dedicating the next few weeks to helping foster kids attain the necessary supplies for back to school.

Childhood can be a difficult experience, especially for those without monetary or emotional support. However, we can help make their childhood more enjoyable. I strongly believe that we can all make a difference in someone's life and that it is our obligation to help those who need our help.

If you are interested in helping foster children, please donate classroom essentials like backpacks, binders, paper, calculators, packages of pens and pencils, notepads, folders, markers, crayons – you get the idea. I am more than willing to pick up donated supplies.



If you prefer to make a monitary donation, please make a check out to Sleep Train Foster Kids or donate on line.

No comments:

Post a Comment