Monday, April 30, 2012

Research on Brazilian-style Rice

Unlocking the secrets to Brazilian style rice
I know this sounds silly, but let me explain. For years, I have tried to make Brazilian-style rice. I would add a tablespoon of oil, 1 cup of rice, and 2 cups of hot water. But my rice was always sticky and never resembled the loose and glistening rice I often enjoy at friends' home or at Brazilian restaurants. Frustrated and determined to know the secret, I began my research. I started noticing preparation strategies, ingredients, tools, and variations of the dish I love so much (Note that I don't really like rice, but am more than happy eating a plate of pure Brazilian-style rice. It's something about the texture and flavor that keeps me coming back for more).

I've come to the conclusion that it's all in the oil or I should say the amount used. The 1 or 2 tablespoons mentioned in cookbooks really isn't enough. From my observations, one needs to cover the bottom on the pot with oil. It gets better! Once the oil is hot, add chopped garlic and/or onions and sauté for 5 minutes. Next, mix Jasmine rice with the ingredients; make sure to coat the rice with the oil. After a few minutes add water. This is where noted rice makers disagree. Some believe that the water must be hot before adding it to the pot. Others are comfortable using room temp water. Conclude by adding salt and pepper and bringing the water to a boil. Once the water begins to boil, lower heat and let it cook for 15-20 minutes.

Whenever I make sticky rice, hubby usually  says, "united we will win/succeed." Apparently, it's a common saying and an indirect insult if someone says this about your rice. 

Note that my research is all theoretical. Once I overcome my fear of coating the bottom of the pot with oil, I will begin empirical research. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment