Friday, September 21, 2012

Great Friday

Picture of Rolled Turkey and Apple Quesadillas Recipe




It's finally Friday and the beginning of the weekend! I wanted tonight to be special and different from other nights, so I decided to cook something different. Actually, hubby nor I were in the mood to cook. To make matters worse, I was also not in the mood for take out. I know. I'm a pain in the touchy. I decided to look online for something fun, tasty, and easy.

Found it! It's a tasty, easy, and kid-friendly recipe from the Food Network. It literally took less than 10 minutes to make and it was delicious. My daughter loved the different flavors and texture of the meal. To make it all more special, we ate in the living room while watching Rio. Really, this was a great dinner and fun night for the whole family.

 Here is the recipe:
* 1/3 cup whipped cream cheese, at room temperature (about 3 ounces)
* 1/2 tablespoon honey 4 (8-inch) whole wheat tortillas 1/2 small red apple, such as Red Delicious, cored and sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices
* 1 cup shredded smoked mozzarella (I ended up using whatever I had at home)
* 1 cup shredded mild Cheddar (I ended up using whatever I had at home)
* 8 thin slices smoked Black Forest deli turkey meat (I ended up using whatever I had at home)
Directions:
* Spray a nonstick grill pan or nonstick griddle pan with vegetable oil cooking spray. Place over medium-high heat.
* In a small bowl, mix together the cream cheese and honey until smooth. Spread evenly over 1 side of each tortilla, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edge.
* Place 2 or 3 apple slices in a single row about 1 inch from the nearest edge of each tortilla.
* In a small bowl, combine the 2 cheeses. Sprinkle half the cheese mixture on top.
* Place 2 slices turkey side-by-side on top of the cheese.
* Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
* Tightly roll up each tortilla like a jelly roll. Place the tortilla rolls, seam-side down, on the grill. Cook, turning every 2 minutes, until the tortillas are brown on all sides and the cheese starts to melt.
* Cool for 10 minutes. Using a sharp serrated knife, slice each tortilla roll into 1-inch pieces. Arrange on a platter and serve.

By the way, the cream cheese and honey mixture also functions as frosting on chocolate and pumpkin cupcakes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment