Friday, March 30, 2012

Only six weeks of Maternity Leave...not Fair!

Our Priorities
I'm mad at the world or at least our society. With the birth of the baby approaching, I am now dealing with the logistics of maternity leave. The fact that it lasts only 6 weeks upsets me. It took my daughter longer than six weeks before she started sleeping through the night and the stress of pumping at work drove me nuts. Clearly, the lack of time to recuperate and time to properly nurse my daughter was the cause of my stress. Even my students noticed and periodically reminded me to take it easy!
Why are we not conscious of the needs and struggles of new parents? How can we expect new parents to be productive at work when they don't even get a good night sleep. Really, where are our priorities? Again, this all upsets me!

Below is a map of the world and the allocated amount of maternity leave for each county. Note that the U.S. is one of the few first-world countries that provides less than three months of maternity leave and the only industrialized nation that does not mandate paid leave for new parents.
Click on the link below for a better view of the map:
NPR World Map Report

No comments:

Post a Comment