Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas and Cultural Norms

Christmas is here. But in good Brazilian fashion, we celebrate Christmas on the 24th--Brazilians must think that Jesus was a premature baby. The party begins on the night of the 24th, and we feast at midnight.

For years, this schedule threw me off and caused me to view American cultural norms as strange. Though I never verbalized this, I often thought:

"You're celebrating on the 25th? Why?" Clearly Mary went into labor on the 24th and if one really thinks about it, labor is no small feat. It needs to be celebrated!

"Why are you leaving cookies and milk for Santa when you can serve him Feijoada, a Brazilian bean dish, and later ask him to go clubbing (after the feast, teens visit friends or go out clubbing...gotta love Brazilian Xmas)?

What's with the snowsuit? Santa should be wearing speedos and sporting a tan. It is summer after all!

Again, I never verbalized my questions and thoughts. Instead, I learned to adjust, embrace, and enjoy the cultural norms that are now a normal and accepted part of my life. In fact, I now use the differences to my advantage. I feast both on the 24th and 25th!

Here are some of my top holiday photos:

The Kardashian's Christmas card. I come from a dysfunctional family (we all do), but we at least pretend to be normal! The K clearly don't care. I can picture Kim saying, "It's Christmas, a festive time in the year. Why should we smile?"
White House Gingerbread House. I have a little crush on Obama and secretly wished that he had invited me for Xmas for hot chocolate and a piece of his white chocolate house. One day!

No comments:

Post a Comment