Monday, December 19, 2011

Early Puberty & Paraben Products

My daughter has fabulous curly hair. At time, though, it is a little wild and difficult to manage. So logically, my husband and I have turned to a variety of hair products to remedy the problem. I also asked others for advice and was surprised by what I learned.

During a conversation with my sister, she began recounting the story of an eight-year old girl who has hair like my daughter. The little girl recently began menstruating--yes, she is eight and has a period! My sister, then, went on to explain the consequences, which I never considered. Women who begin their period early begin menopause early. My sister went on to explaining that some believe paraben, a common preservative in beauty products, can lead to early puberty in addition to breast cancer and a decrease in sperm count. My sister concluded by stating that the parents of the eight-year old believe that, to some extent, harmful products led to their daughter's early development.

What? I found the information intriguing, so I began researching. While there is information that proves and disproves the parent's claim, my hubby and I want to be on the safe side. We began purging our home of paraben products and were surprised to learn that paraben is in everything from toothpaste to organic beauty products! We are now on the hunt for paraben-free products that work and are easy to find.Paraben-free products:
  1. Mixed Chicks hair products
  2. Eucerin original lotion. Not all are paraben free. Check the ingredients.
Below are a few links to sites with more information on paraben.

Livestrong.com

Children's Health

Bright Hub

No comments:

Post a Comment